The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has launched a new reintegration package within the Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) programme.
The plan aims at increasing the number of people willing to voluntarily return from the Greek islands to their country of origin, if is safe to do so, or where they can legally reside (country of ‘usual residence’).
The new package exclusively concerns non-vulnerable third country nationals who are currently hosted on the Greek islands of:
Who can apply?
- Third-country nationals that do not have the legal status to remain in Greece or they do not desire to stay in Greece; rejected asylum seekers; asylum seekers giving up their asylum claim;
- Only non-vulnerable third country nationals currently hosted on Lesvos, Chios, Samos, Leros and Kos;
Where people can be returned?
- To their country of origin;
- To their country of previous residence, where they have the legal status to remain;
- Turkey is not included to the return countries.
What is provided?
- For the new reintegration package, beneficiaries will receive the usual cash grant (500 euros) provided to people selected for the AVRR in Greece;
- Beneficiaries will also get an additional amount of 500 euros per person in cash. In total, non-vulnerable returnees who register for the project on one of the aforementioned islands will get 1,000 euros.
What about vulnerable people?
Vulnerable individuals hosted on Lesvos, Chios, Samos, Leros and Kos will not receive the reintegration assistance in cash, but a reintegration assistance ‘package’ with a value of 1.500 EUR, which will be given in kind.
IOM will provide different types of assistance to selected vulnerable returnees. For instance, in establishing small businesses; vocational training programmes, cover their temporary housing expenses, receive medical or psychological support. The plan is tailored to meet each individual’s needs and aims.
How to access the ‘reintegration package’
Eligible individuals for the new reintegration package can contact IOM Office in Greece directly, in Athens or on the islands at the following phone numbers:
- Athens: +30 210 9919040
- Lesvos: +30 69 58475878
- Samos: +30 69 72331440
- Chios: +30 69 55466613
- Kos: +30 69 44864986
- Leros: +30 69 41580330
For more information: