Question: “How do I get a bank account in Greece?“
Answer: The National Bank of Greece confirmed to News That Moves that you are able to open a bank account in Greece if you follow the procedure below:
You will need to go to the bank with:
- A copy of the document demonstrating that you have applied for International Protection or your Asylum Seeker Card or your national passport, if available;
- Try to make sure your application for International Protection or your Asylum Seeker Card has your address, whether apartment, hotel or official camp. It will make this process much easier;
- If your documents do not include your address, you will be required to sign an official document showing your legal residence, whether a hotel, apartment or official camp.
- A certificate confirming you will be employed by the employer. The head of the company’s finances or their accountant will have this form;
- A copy of the employment contract provided by your employer;
- A copy of your tax registration certificate, the document assigning your tax registration number (ΑΦΜ). To obtain your tax registration number, check this list to find the tax office nearest to your residence;
- You will need proof you do not already have a Greek tax registration number (ΑΦΜ) and you have not filed a tax return in Greece. This can be obtained at the tax office where you will get your tax registration number;
- You will need to provide a document showing that you have a personal telephone number.
- You will need utility bill (paper water bill or electricity bill), but only if available.
However, you may not need neither an employer’s certificate nor an employment contract, if you are eligible to apply for the Social Solidarity Income (KEA) in Greece. You can open a bank account by showing the bank your application that you submitted at a Citizens Service Centre (ΚΕP) . Your application has to be stamped by KEP proving that you need to open the bank account in order to apply for KEA.
You can open a bank account at any major bank in Greece.
When you get your identification document proving you have applied for International Protection or you have your Asylum Seeker card, ask the office that issued the document to include the name of a competent authority and their phone number so the bank can call if any additional information is needed.
For more information: